Sunday, September 15, 2013

Shhh...Students Might Learn Something. Just Don't Let Them Know...

For the second week of lessons I've been doing a short unit on travel, mainly because I could connect it thematically to my initial lesson, which was a self-introduction that included pictures of places I'd traveled to.  I had an activity planned whereby students would first write out a plan for a vacation they wanted to take (in English), and would then practice conversation talking about their trip, first one-on-one and eventually to the whole class.  As an extra incentive, I thought I might offer students a chance to vote on which vacation they liked best and award that student a peice of candy or two.

Well, for the first three days, after going over the vocabulary and brainstorming ideas with students about a vacation, I explained to them that I had a worksheet for them to describe their dream vacation.  I didn't explain any further than that, mostly because its already hard to get one's point across with the student's limited English, and I didn't want to confuse them by giving them all the detail up front.  Big mistake.  Even though it was a substantially creative activity, students heard the word "worksheet" and they moaned.  Most of the students did it, maybe 2/3rds, but only grudgingly.

So, on Friday I decided to try a different approach.  I started off saying that we were going to have a competition to see who can come up with the best or most creative vacation, and whoever won would get a couple peices of candy.  I carefully never used the word "worksheet" in my explanation of the process.  You'd think I promised to pay for their vacation.  Every student, save maybe one in my second class on Friday, dived right in and was toiling away on their worksheet with seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment