Saturday, September 14, 2013

Comfort Food In Korea

Well, I had my first encounter with Korean Toast today.  There's a restaurant right across the street from my school.  Korean Toast is like a grilled-cheese sandwhich, only they put scrambled eggs, cabbage, pickles, and various sauces on it.  Plus, you can get it with all kinds of meats, such as ham, chicken, beef, or bacon.

Strangely enough, when I paid with what I thought was exact change she gave me 500 won (about 50 cents) back.  I don't know why.  Is this the "white guy discount"1 at work again?  I told the lady that it was "very tasty" in Korean, though I'm not sure it registered with her what I was saying.

And the verdict?

Yummy!



1. Last week I bought a monitor at the local 하이 마트 (Hi Mart), and the price changed twice in the process of purchasing it. The marked price tag was 290,000 KRW, but he only asked me for 288,000 KRW, which he wrote down on a peice of paper. When I gave him six 50,000 KRW bills, he said "250" in English and handed me back one of the 50,000 KRW. Haggling isn't common in these types of stores, to my knowledge. When I asked one of the other English teachers in town about this, he said that he was giving me the "white guy" discount, presumably because I was a foreigner and he wanted me to frequent the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment